Sunday, March 3, 2013

Paying by Paypal when non-US credit and debit cards are not accepted

Many US online stores do not accept non-US debit and credit cards. Assisted purchases usually add 5-15% extra cost. Some online retailers do accept Paypal, but it hasn't help much to customers outside the USA, because few stores ship outside the USA. The biggest problem was that Paypal allowed you to ship to the same country where you billing address was. This may helped Paypal to avoid scams, but was a big problem for customers who lived outside the USA.

Today I tried to pay for my order in the Homesav private shopping club selling mostly furniture and home decoration goods. My Russian Mastercard debit card was rejected no matter whether I was using real billing address with a US state and zip code or a virtual USA address (from my shipping forwarder Shipito). I tried to pay with Paypal and was very surprised that Paypal didn't ask me to choose a shipping address.

Homesav: Paying with Russian paypal account

So I paid for my Homesav order using my Russian Paypal account and entering Shipito address for shipping. Will try with more shops to find out whether Paypal won't be limiting customers by asking to choose a shipping address.

Have you tried to pay for your orders in US online stores by Paypal recently? Were you asked by Paypal to choose a shipping address?

No comments:

Post a Comment