Thursday, May 8, 2014

Gilt offers International shipping for $9.95. Why is it more expensive in reality?

American private shopping club Gilt started offering international shipping for $9.95 USD (it was $19.95 before).
Gilt: International shipping for $9.95
Some conditions apply:
Starting on May 1, 2014, receive $9.95 USD flat rate shipping ("$9.95 Shipping") on qualifying Gilt.com purchases shipping to addresses outside of the United States. Excludes taxes and any additional delivery charges. Excludes use of freight forwarding services. Valid only on gilt.com, may be subject to product restrictions or exclusions, does not include any additional delivery or supplemental shipping charges above flat rate shipping. Customer will pay the difference between flat rate shipping and any alternative chosen method. $9.95 Shipping may be suspended or terminated at any time.
I had many problems applying coupons and special offers at Gilt in the past. All of them were resolved in one way or another, but I didn't really want to contact support each time I order something online.

Tried to test the new shipping rate during my last order and was shocked. I added a single t-shirt into my shopping cart and the shipping cost was more than $32 USD. Tried to add 2 more clothing items and the shipping became even more expensive. This was weird. I can understand why several heavy items are more expensive to ship, but this situation was beyond my comprehension.

Tried to contact support via the live chat. While I was waiting for the reply, I tried to play more with my shopping cart. Added one $80 sweater and the shipping became $9.95. Removed it from the cart and added a couple of 60-80 USD items and the international shipping was still $9.95.

The support team clarified that economically it makes more sense for them to ship larger orders! Oh Really? How about writing about it when describing the new shipping offer???

No comments:

Post a Comment